Last weekend was a wonderful and sore (!) weekend I spent in Elko with Carly and Graeme.
I arrived Saturday morning instead of Friday night, because I was worn out from the past week and needed some sleep! When I got to Elko around 10am, Carly met me at her place and we went to Cucina Fresca, a kitchen store downtown, for some browsing. I had been complaining that she never takes me to the nice places in Elko when I visit, so here was my retribution! I have decided to take up bread baking so I bought a pizza peel and a scraper there. If you don’t know what a pizza peel is, it is the wooden thing this pizza is sitting on. It is used to pull pizza out of the oven.
We met Graeme for lunch at the Flying Fish; yes, a sushi place. I won’t disgust you with the details, but there was a sushi roll called the Chase roll, apparently named after someone creative in Elko, but I couldn’t help thinking of my Chase and telling him how delicious his food was! It’s ironic though, because my Chase has never had sushi. Hehe =) After lunch we headed to a bike shop so Carly could get a pair of goggles for her new 4 wheeler she bought in Twin Falls, ID on Friday. It is a very pretty green and she enjoys it, which is all that’s important. We decided to take Graeme’s boat out to the South Fork Lake since he had already purchased a permit to boat for the day. We took out our pool floaties and some beer, a South Fork Lake staple, I think. We tied our floaties to the boat and relaxed on the lake. Graeme showed off his new motor and pulled us around the lake with his trolling motor. Not too fast of course! We pulled into shore just as it was starting to get cold and went back to Carly’s place to watch some tv before heading to bed.
Sunday morning we didn’t get up nearly as early as planned – almost 8am! Graeme made some yummy banana pancakes and bacon for breakfast. We got ready and headed over to Adam’s house by near 930am. We loaded up Adam’s extra dirt bike next to Carly’s 4 wheeler and went to the head of Boullian Trail (not sure on the spelling). The trail was mostly dirt and gravel so I didn’t have too hard a time handling a dirt bike even though I had never ridden on one. From my observations, it is a little different from a street motorcycle in that it sits much higher off the ground and has a lot more suspension. I think I still prefer a street bike – there’s something about being a little closer to the ground. I guess being this height I’ve just gotten used to it and don’t want to be too far away from it! Go ahead, start the short jokes … anyway, we ended up being out for nearly 5 hours! That was much longer than we planned and I think it would have been a slight bit more enjoyable if we had brought water (gasp!) and if it hadn’t been so hot out. I was drained. The scenery (what I saw of it) was pretty and I was amazed at how much vegetation there was in the valleys between the hills. Apparently, we were pretty close to some small mines although that was all the information that I got about that as I wasn’t too interested in hopping on Carly’s 4-wheeler to see any longer. I rode on the back nearly an hour and as you can imagine, I got a little motion sick, which was not a reflection of Carly’s driving as the terrain. I abandoned my bike at the ghost town of bullion when the trail got too steep and rocky for me to ride. Heck, Adam and Graeme had a hard time – I’m not sure how I would have survived! All in all, it was very fun to ride a dirt bike for the first time and although I’m not quite ready to buy my own, I’m very eager to give it another go. We got back to Elko at about 330pm and went straight to Sergio’s for some burgers. Turned out we were all primary thirsty than anything so we took our burgers home for enjoyment later (GOOD!) After dropping off the bike and Adam, we went back to Carly’s for showers. I felt more like myself after I got clean! It was very dusty out on the trail! I headed home after my shower.
THE KEY DRAMA
So I’m not sure if everyone heard about this, but here’s an overview. I apparently had left my apartment keys at Carly’s apartment. Doesn’t make for easy entry to my place, that’s for sure. I didn’t have a spare key because of the following: My key holder didn’t stick for very long to my patio, I don’t have any spare keys because I forgot to get my spare back from Jessi (she’s sending it now), I’m not forward thinking enough (apparently) to have given Pat or someone in town a key. Turns out, it wouldn’t have helped to give Pat a key because he was home in MN until Tuesday (turned out to be Wed because of flight delays). I called maintenance who let me in, but told me that they weren’t supposed to let me in, but were supposed to tell me to call a locksmith. I could have kissed him for letting me in, but I’ll assure you, I did restrain myself. I was crying so it probably wouldn’t encourage him to help crying woman anymore and lord knows I need all the help I can get! Anyway, so I successfully got in to my apartment Sunday night and Carly promised to overnight the package to Pat, because ironically, my apartment keys had my mail key on them and mailing them to me wouldn’t have helped. At the time, we were not aware that Pat was in MN. I survived by leaving my patio door open until Wed night when Pat got home and returned my package to me (Thanks Pat!).The end.
No big plans for this weekend, but I’m sure Chase and I will find something to do! ;)
Ciao,
K


No comments:
Post a Comment