About Me

My photo
Ordinary girl with extraordinary dreams

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial day weekend and some cruise/nyc vacation info

Memorial day weekend:

I had a fun, relaxing weekend with a couple of friends interning in Ely, NV for the summer. Eliza and Chase came up late Friday night and met Pat and I and a couple of Jessi’s friends from Tech (Brandon and Garrett) for dinner at the Bayou. Tasty tasty Cajun – I had the crawfish etouffee and I also tried some of Pat’s gumbo. Makes a person miss New Orleans. Can’t beat good company and good food. Afterwards, we said good bye to Brandon and Garrett and took the party back to my place for some more chitchat before we turned in.

Saturday we got up fairly late to accommodate for the late night. We went to lunch and then walked around Temple Square and the Gateway, checking out the sites and such. We ate some dinner at Z’Tejas (quite the challenge to pronounce as it turns out) which was not too shabby. They served primarily Mexican food and lots of seafood, which gave the restaurant a vaguely fishy smell. Not in a good way, if that’s possible. I’m not sure I’ll be back anytime soon. Afterwards, we headed back to my place for a dip in the hot tub before it closes and then off to bed.

Sunday I got up fairly early, not being able to sleep. I enjoyed the early sunlight on my new patio with my newly hung hammock. Afterward, we went to lunch. Our original intention was to go to a movie, but instead, we went back to my place to laze around for a while. We ended up going to MacGruber (parody of MacGyver). Don’t see it. That’s all I have to say about it. Too stupid even for me to like. Then we went back to my place and watched the Jerk (to get some good comedy into our lives and wash away the memory of the bad one). Besides going to In and Out burger for dinner, we didn’t move from my place much for the rest of the day.

Monday we got up fairly early again but weren’t ready until lunchtime – the evils of a single bathroom! We went to lunch at Squatters after finding out the Greek Souvlaki was closed :(. Then we went to the zoo to enjoy all the weather and the animals! I think everyone had a good time – we even rode the little train there. Silly but fun. Then Chase and Eliza drove home to Ely and I went to about a half a Bees game with Pat. Only half cause I was so tired, I made him take me home half way through.

I had a really good memorial day weekend and hope you all did too! We even remembered our veterans while at the zoo during the wild bird show and at the baseball game.


FYI – Cruise/NYC information to share

Public transportation from the airports LGA and JFK to Manhattan – tips.

JFK
The subway does indeed run to the JFK airport.
The train: 8 Avenue Express
The stop: Howard Beach/JFK Airport stop on 159 Avenue

From the looks of things, this line runs through Brooklyn and onto Manhattan. As I understand it, there is an airtrain to shuttle between the airport and the subway.

LGA
From LaGuardia, the tips are as such: The M60 bus goes to 125th in Manhattan for $2 where you can transfer onto the subway. This is written as the more complicated option of the 2, public transportation-wise. It seems that getting a metro card at the airport beforehand for successful transfer from the bus to the metro is not easy.

This is where I got my info (I googled transportation from jfk/lga to manhattan
http://gonyc.about.com/od/gettinghere/gr/airtrainjfk.htm
http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesairports/a/getto_lga.htm

NYC Subway Map
http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/submap.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers